Monday, October 5, 2015

Dogs and romance....

Close your eyes and picture this. It's almost sunset. A young couple stroll hand in hand along the beach. They are talking quietly, gazing into each other's eyes. They decide to take a rest on a sand dune where they can be even closer to each other.

The waves crash, the gulls cry, the gentle breeze is warm. The girl's hair blows softly across her glowing skin and the young man gently reaches across and brushes it away. Perfect moment, right?!!

Enter my dog.  She has been playing madly in the waves with another puppy. They have been rolling over each other, snapping at the waves and generally having a great time. It would be fair to say that way too much sea water has been swallowed by said puppy and although she doesn't look it, things are not quite right in her world.

She notices the young couple on the beach, and although her own peeps are close at hand, she decides that everyone should share her special brand of shaggy, wet love. I like to think she took a moment and observed the "calender-perfect love picture" before her, but I seriously doubt it.

Promptly, and without any fanfare whatsoever, she vomited up all the sea water, afternoon snacks, lunch and most likely breakfast, at the feet of the young lovers.

Signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours baby........

It reminds me of another touching moment that I witnessed many years ago on Valentines Day by a particularly loving couple. I was working as a waitress in a beautiful old hotel. This hotel boasted the most amazing verandah -  barley twist marble columns, arched doorways and windows, beautiful bougainvillea providing colour and privacy,  and tessellated tiles covering the wide, shaded floor. (note that the tiles were fairly uneven - little corners sticking up here and there - a death trap for high heels and the unobservant - but so much age and character!!!!)

I had served this couple all night, and their displays of affection were really beginning to get to me (please God, go get a room!!!). Dessert and wine were being served and I was counting the minutes before I could excuse myself from their presence, when out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Bundy the hotel dog and almost fell about laughing.

Bundy was an ancient Beagle who belonged to the owner of the hotel. He was a permanent fixture by the fireplace in the bar at winter, and resided anywhere there was shade over the summer. He also suffered the occasional itchy, pussy, abscess on his backside. (I know, gross right!)

On this beautiful, romantic evening, in the prescence of one seriously, loved-up couple, Bundy chose to alleviate his itching backside on the tessellated tiles of the verandah. As he grunted, and scooted slowly past, the couple seemed to notice him (it was one of those classic "double take" moments) and decided they really did need to pay the bill, tip me ridiculously (yay!!!) and finally go to their room.

Needless to say, I felt a great deal of love for Bundy at that moment and took him on a Valentines date to the kitchen for  a suitable bone.




No comments: