Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Ooooh Baby.....

They tell me that getting old is only relevant to how old you feel. Pffft whatever. I currently feel about 75 but that could be because I stayed up most of the night binge watching Netflix. I'm definitely old enough to know better than that. Getting old has it's perks though. I can now apply for over 50's insurance and I can now move into an over 50's gated community where board games and pureed meats feature heavily in the available daily choices and there is always any number of groups I can join for social interaction etc. (Unfortunately "Those against ironing" and "sarcastic, smart asses anonymous" groups are not on offer. Sigh.) With the perks, comes the lurks. Everyting hurts. I mean - EVERYTHING. And if it doesn't hurt when you wake up, you can be damn sure it will hurt by the time you drag your carcass into bed. It's just a given. So yesterday morning when I was sitting down, in a chair, with my feet flat on the floor and the whole house seemed to sway violently and I rocked in my chair - I thought "what new torture is this? Is my blood sugar low and I'm about to faint? Is this vertigo? Maybe I'm just hallucinating or having an outer body experience? All seemed reasonably plausible options so I just carried on with my cuppa and "candy crush". And then I looked at the pendant light above my head - it was still swaying. So then I looked at Nev. He seemed quite calm and ordinary but was looking at me with a small, undecided kind of smile. He's here in the same room. He can validate me - either he felt it too and I'm not mad, or he didn't and I am. Hmmm. How do I test this? "You rock my world Nev" I said He stood up in a hurry and planted a big kiss on my forehead - "Oh, thank goodness I thought I was going mad, or that my heart had stopped or I had a dose of vertigo or some such old person's thing but if you felt it too, it can't be just me. Unless we're sharing a vertigo moment or we've eaten something that didn't agree with us....(This is a whole other thing - you really do STOP eating some things - too spicy and leaves you gassy - and START doing some others like not eating after 6 as it will keep you awake etc etc) Shoot me now... Turns out it was an earthquake. 6.0 on the old richter. Big enough to shake the foundations. Big enough for the nanna rug to fall off my lap. Thank goodness it doesn't need to be ironed though.

No comments: