Saturday, October 17, 2009

Dammit......

Mmmm...... Peanut Butter! Instantly, images of thickly cut, heavy, multigrain bread, lighltly toasted and smeared with extra crunchy, light peanut butter come to me. Serenading me. Whispering sweet nothings to me.

Addicted?! OK - yep, you got me. Tragically addicted.

Did you notice that I mentioned, "light" peanut butter. I kid myself that this is better for me. It says on the jar - "1/3 less fat". It forgot to mention that is is about three trillion times sweeter and more addictive. Sigh.

Even with the immense, profound love that I have for peanut butter, I know in my heart of hearts that is is not good for me (dammit, dammit). I know that in every teaspoon there is some ungodly amount of saturated fats - and yet I cannot look away.....

As I ripen with age (I am currently in denial. I am 39!!!!!!!! tomorrow), there are many things that I should be doing to keep my current state of heath, and ever so many more things I should NOT be doing. I feel one of these is inhaling a pot of peanut butter per week......(dammit dammit).

In fact, as I make a peanut butter sandwich, I realise that I would actually prefer a nice tuna salad. With some delicious dressing. (I prefer this salad in the mental realm only - in the physical sense I am practically gagging for my  sandwich).

I do KNOW that a salad is better for me. I KNOW that it tastes really yummy and I KNOW that the long term benefits for my health (not to mention my weight) are without doubt.

I have all the ingrediants for a nice tuna salad in the fridge, chilled and ready to go. I am torn.

"The salad will take a bit to prepare, and you are hungry now," I hear my bad self point out.

"Aaah instant gratification. Come on, show some steel. Be responsible. Show some maturity," argues back my angelic, thin self.

Dammit. Dammit, dammit, dammit. I hate it when it comes down to this.

"Eenie, meenie, miny mo etc......

As I lick the peanut butter satisfactorily off my fingers, I ponder the fact that at 39, I'll be much more responsible..........


2 comments:

Jordan said...

Happy Birthday for tommorow! And don't worry...Peanut butter has that affect on everyone...take it from someone who knows.

Tulip~Rose Quilt Shoppe said...

Hey Old chook!!

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!"

Hope you got totally spoilt....you deserve it!

Luv from all of us down here!!

and go the peanut butter...you KNOW you want it!!!!