Friday, November 7, 2008

Nearer my God to thee....

This Sunday morning I am leading the worship part of the service at our church. I have not done this before so I am a little bit nervous. For a while now I have been part of the worship team singing backup, but this will be different - a little bit more exposed or something.

And that is a very good thing. It has caused me to focus more on God and less on myself over the past week, and I have to say (though I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone) that I have had a better week for it.

I have had my Bible open on the kitchen table and as I walk past it, I either stop and flick through looking for a verse or passage to go with the songs I have chosen, or I stop and pray about the whole thing. Watching it all fall into place is really quite exciting. God can use me!
The visiting pastor who is coming this Sunday is talking about the faithfulness of God and as I was thinking this through, Psalm 23 came to mind.
The Lord is my shepherd. He gives me everything I need. He lets me lie down in fields of green grass. He leads me beside quiet waters. He gives me new strength. He guides me in the right paths for the honour of His name. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid. You are with me. Your shepherd's rod and staff comfort me. You prepare a feast for me right in front of my enemies. You pour oil on my head. My cup runs over. I am sure that your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life. And I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

What a beautiful picture of His faithfulness to us.

Seemingly all the anxieties, issues and stresses in our life are handled neatly in that one little Psalm. If I can get up on Sunday morning with that Psalm in my heart and my thankfulness on my lips, all should be well.

1 comment:

SF said...

All will be well Helen!!
THanks so much for asking me to sing with you..... I'm really looking forward to it. :)
This is a beautiful picture, perfect for this psalm. So glad you've had a great week!