Saturday, August 29, 2009

Words of wisdom found in strange places......


I have a habit of reading things aloud in the car. Not normal things like books, but street signs, road signs, shop signs, graffiti (well, I try), bumper stickers, posters etc. all that sort of random stuff. We'll be sitting at an intersection, or just driving down a lovely country road and all of a sudden, I'll pop out with "Hotel Farmville, three blocks up and on your right", or "Save with our discount plan", or "Red's Hardware" - whatever sign catches my eye.

Although this is not a particularly bad habit, it does seem to be a little involuntary. After 16 years of marriage, Nev is quite used to my wierd little ways but when he gets to the point of saying, "will you knock it off Mort" (Mort is the extremely cute, yet extremely annoying Lemur in the movie Madagascar and a favourite nickname in our house), I realise that I had better redeem myself by reading a sign which is either very funny or very thought provoking.

These signs are a bit rare, but a bit like striking gold when you come across them. I love the ones nailed up on random trees along the Bruce highway which read "Jesus saves" - not only are they a great reminder and a focus point for me, but my imagination starts whirring - who put them there, when, how, didn't anybody notice them??? etc.

On our trip home from Brisbane on Tuesday, I had already reached my "Mort point" by the suburbs, when I read out a sign which said.....

"Life does not come with a bow wrapped around it, but it is still a gift"

Good one eh..................

2 comments:

Jordan said...

penguins??

SF said...

Good one. :) Love the hibiscus border!! And you. :) xo