Monday, December 22, 2008

'tis the season.....to count your blessings!

There is so much to blog about at the moment. I'm not sure about other people, but I find I sometimes go through a patch of not being able to blog due to lack of material. Not that things don't happen, I mean come on, there's ALWAYS something happening. But I guess it's a case of not knowing exactly how to capture that particular moment, or the fact that the old brain is just not having a good day and it impossible to string a few words together, let alone actually sound cohesive.

Anyway, it seems that I have the opposite problem at the moment. There is so much going on that I don't know where to begin. Perhaps I should start with the obvious. It's Christmas and I am beginning to feel positively festive!!!! We had a beautiful time together as a church on Sunday night (a bit unheard of as we don't often do Sunday nights). We shared a meal and then lit some candles and sang some Christmas carols. I love carols. Well, most of them. As a singer (well, perhaps harmoniser....or something) many carols are very high and rather difficult to sing, but I love the story behind them and the beautiful way in which the birth of Jesus is captured and put into words.

When you sing 'Hark the herald angels sing' for instance, it somehow presents you with this awesome picture of angels in the night sky singing about the majesty of God, and his gift of His son to the world, and the future that is offered to one and all through this miracle of a small baby. Phew. See what I mean. Awesome.

And then there is the fact that Nev went off to his last day of work yesterday, and is of today, an unemployed bum! Well woohoo for that I reckon! He has been an ever faithful, loyal, patient team member in a rather sucky work place where loyalty and patience is never recognised, let alone encouraged. Still, their loss is my gain and I am excited about what our future together will be.

We bought a new car!!! This is also a major event in our house as it was never part of the plan but has turned out to be the nicest possible Christmas present ever. We have had our long suffering car for eight years and it really was the only part of our trip that was bothering us. Not that it wouldn't have made it, but just that it was so small and our packing would have been so limited (the whole undies and toothbrush in the glove box scenario). Now we have this humongous 4WD and space just isn't a problem! (The whole car buying thing and God's hand in the situation is another blog for tomorrow as it is very exciting but also a bit too long to tag onto this rave).

There is also a real sense of sadness about this Christmas as it will be our last one here with all the people we know and love so dearly. It is a time of reflection for me as I give thanks for the joys, the acceptance, the love, the caring and the sharing we have been so privileged to be a part of. All the things that really make Christmas. All the things Christmas should be about.

No comments: